Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 2012: Current projects related to the Sims 3

 As I mentioned before I have a couple of projects I want to work on, but for now I am not playing the game again due to lack of time, so anything related to creation will have to wait a bit more. Instead, I have noticed while browsing my newsfeed on Facebook that some people still have problems with their CC.


 Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of very good tutorials and guides out there to learn how to do it, which is how I learned myself, but it seems some people haven't gotten that information somehow. I have explained to some friends in the past and this time I might as well post it here.

 I intend to write about installing CC and merging CC. I do not pretend to know better than others, and I still have a lot to learn. But if what I do know can help people, then I do not see why I shouldn't share my knowledge. I very much dislike free criticizing if it's not constructive. If you know better and can't be bothered to explain nicely, then don't bother at all, thank you.

 If you are not familiar with the content of your Sims 3 folders, I suggest you read and bookmark the NRAAS explanation. I cannot do more precise than that and it helped me a lot.

 You might want to note that the cache files are:
- CASPartCache.package
- compositorCache.package
- simCompositorCache.package
- scriptCache.package
  Whenever you install  new content in game without using the launcher, you need to delete the related cache so that the game will recreate it when you start it up (it will take a bit longer to load when it recreates them than usual). Else your new content will never appear in game. It's what we actually refer to when we say 'clear the cache'.
If you cannot see the '.package' part it's because your folder options are set not to show unknown extensions. You can either turn it on or just learn to recognize which are those files.

 Come back again for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to install

Most of the time when possible I give you the possibility to install as either Sims3Pack or Package.
Pick up a format you rather use (poses can only be installed as Packages), and install it in your game:

If you use EA Launcher:

Sims3Packs
Place the .sims3pack file in your folder My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads
Run the Launcher, click the Download panel on the left and select the files you want to install before pressing the Install button.
Note: You do not need to keep the file in this folder, it can be removed safely once installed and the Launcher/game is closed.

Packages
Place the .package file in your folder My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages
If you do not have or do not know how to set up the Mods folder, I wrote a tutorial here.
Note: If you have too many files in this folder you should consider merging them or it will make your game load and render slower. Aikea Guinea wrote a tutorial about it, see here.

If you use CC Magic:

This launcher manages both types, so you can place any .sims3pack and .package files you want in
My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads
For those who don't know about it, you can find the installation here and a tutorial there.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...